Saudi marriage officiant Dr. Ahmad al-Mu’bi told Lebanese television viewers last week that it’s permissible for girls as young as 1 to marry — as long as sex is postponed.
See here for article. See here for video. See here for transcript.
Problems with his view:
1. He communicates a low view of marriage where a spouse need not be ready or fit for the roles within marriage to be married.
2. He refers to marriage as simply a contract rather than a spiritual union and covenant.
3. He communicates such a low view of marriage that a one year old can meet the qualifications and readiness.
4. He suggests the qualification regarding readiness for sex are determined by environment and traditon without any reference to marriage, maturity, or marital purpose and fulfillment.
5. He suggests both that marriage can exist without sex and yet suggests sex constitutes marriage.
6. He suggests that mere protection and provision constitutes reason alone for marriage. (He doesn't consider: a. Perhaps the man should not have multiple wives he cannot care for to begin with; b. Perhaps the man should consider not taking the trip and rather providing for a wife he has married and pledged to support, etc.)
7. He states "The prophet Mohammed is the model we follow" without providing argument for why this prophet and not the others, and for why this prophet apart from other inspired principles should take precedence.