1. All persons are accountable for their choices, and all their choices are infallibly and decisively ordained by God.
- [He] works all things according to the counsel of his will. (Ephesians 1:11)
- On the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak. (Matthew 12:36)
2. It is not sin in God to will that there be sin
- “As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it [the evil acts of Joseph’s brothers] for good. (Genesis 50:20)
3. What God decrees will come to pass is not always the same as what he commands that we do, and may indeed be the opposite.
- For example, he may command, “Thou shalt not kill,” and decree that his Son be killed: “It was the will of the Lord to crush him” (Isaiah 53:10).
4. God’s ultimate goal is the exaltation and display of his own glory, and this is at the heart of what it means for him to love us.
- And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.” (John 17:5)
- Father, I desire that they also, whom you have given me, may be with me where I am, to see my glory.” (John 17:24)
5. Sin is not primarily what hurts man but what belittles God by expressing unbelief or indifference to his superior worth.
- My people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water. (Jeremiah 2:13)
6. God is perfectly just and orders the complete destruction of the inhabitants of Canaan.
- Shall not the Judge of all the earth do what is just? (Genesis 18:25)
- But in the cities of these peoples that the Lord your God is giving you for an inheritance, you shall save alive nothing that breathes. (Deuteronomy 20:16)
7. The key to the Christian life is learning the secret of acting in such a way that our acts are done as the acts of Another.
- Walk by the Spirit. (Galatians 5:25)
- Put to death the deeds of the body by the Spirit. (Romans 8:13)
8. Those who belong to Christ have crucified the flesh.
- And those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires. (Galatians 5:24)
9. “The virgin shall conceive and bear a son.” (Matthew 1:23)
10. “Before Abraham was I am.” (John 8:58)